The Institute for Communication Technologies and Embedded Systems (ICE) is jointly directed by Prof. Gerd Ascheid (Chair for Integrated Signal Processing Systems, ISS) and Prof. Rainer Leupers (Chair for Software for Systems on Silicon, SSS), who collaborate closely in research and complement each other with their expertise.
ICE´s mission is to contribute to the advancement of Application-Specific Systems Design. Emphasis is on compute-intensive embedded application domains like wireless communication infrastructure and terminals, multimedia processing, advanced driver assistance, and industrial internet (Industry 4.0). The institute is structured into three tightly connected research groups (applications, HW/SW implementation, and design methodology and tools), thereby having the critical mass to cover all major aspects of system design.
Key research areas at ICE:
- Digital receivers for wireless communication systems: from algorithm to implementation
- M2M communication systems (e.g. in Cyber Physical Systems)
- Sensor signal processing and machine learning
- Hardware and chip architectures for embedded systems and IoT devices, in particular multiprocessor systems-on-chip (MPSoC)
- Electronic system-level (ESL) design tools for complex integrated circuits and systems
- Software development tools for heterogeneous multicore architectures
There is a tight relation between these areas, since in the design phase of applications and algorithms, implementation and design methodology aspects must be taken into account as well. Furthermore, various demands have to be balanced:
- High amount of flexibility, e.g. by employing processors with customized instruction sets (ASIP, Application Specific Instruction Set Processors)
- Extremely complex signal processing, to achieve best possible transmission quality with least possible resource utilization (bandwidth, transmit power)
- Low power consumption for maximum battery lifetime and heat minimization
- Low NRE costs
- Safe and secure system operation
For industry partners, ICE offers individual consultation and training in the above domains, as well as technology transfer and case studies, such as application-specific hardware design and advanced design tools for multicore HW/SW systems.
News >> News >> News
Area: Application Specific Computing Systems and Hardware Architectures
We are glad to announce that the EC will grant the H2020 Innovation Action TETRAMAX with
Silexica Receives Series A Financing Led by Merus Capital