Chair for Software for Systems on Silicon
Job Offer - Research Assistant/PhD student
There are multiple vacancies for excellent Ph.D. candidates, which are hired and compensated as full-time researchers, at the Chair for Distributed Signal Processing (Prof. Dr. Haris Gačanin, www.dsp.rwth-aachen.de) of RWTH Aachen University in Aachen, Germany. Current positions are part of efforts toward the development of 6G radio access technologies and laboratory in the intersection of digital communications, traditional signal processing and machine learning with a particular focus on the development of novel radio interfaces for flexible radio networking architectures. The topics also include optimization and architecture of computing communications as the convergence of radio access and mobile cloud computing (more details at www.dsp.rwth-aachen.de).
- Contribute to R&D projects in the areas of a novel design of radio transmission technologies, novel radio resource management techniques, novel radio networking architectures, prototyping and development of simulation tools
- Interact with our European and worldwide academic and industry partners
- Ph.D. students are expected to support event organization and provide assistance in teaching, e.g. lecture exercises, labs, and seminars
- Applicants must hold a Master's degree or equivalent in electrical engineering, computer science, information technology, mathematics, or similar/equivalent fields.
- The candidates must have excellent knowledge of digital communications, communication theory, probability theory and linear algebra with applications in signal processing. Further knowledge of machine learning methods is a plus.
- The candidates must have hands-on experience with embedded systems, preferably with at least one of the software-defined radio platforms. Hands-on experience with RF and wireless communication technologies and protocols, as well as familiarity with instrumentation is a must. Good understanding of probability theory and linear algebra with applications in signal processing is expected.
- All applicants must have excellent knowledge in C and Linux, while experience in one or more of the following programming languages is a plus: Python, C++, Java, TensorFlow, Web-based programming.
- The candidates must have excellent communication skills while being able to work independently, with team player spirit. High proficiency in oral and written English
For all students both algorithmic research through computer simulations and experimenting through prototyping are mandatory (independently or in a team). It is expected that missing skills will be proactively improved.
Our cooperative leadership concept gives you the necessary freedom for your scientific research with a high degree of motivation, personal responsibility, and creativity. RWTH Aachen University has been certified as a “Family-Friendly University” and top-ranked technical university in Germany with approx. 45,000 students. Talented people interested in contributing to a leading-edge and highly international research institute are invited to submit their application at any time. RWTH is committed to promoting the careers of women and therefore looks forward to receiving applications by female candidates. RWTH welcomes applications from suitably qualified disabled people. The Chair is a part of the Institute for Communication Technologies and Embedded Systems (ICE) performs R&D projects in different areas of embedded and cyber-physical system design. Our main application domains are next-generation radio communications, automotive electronics, cyber-security, and Industry 4.0. ICE maintains tight cooperation with industry partners worldwide and has transferred numerous technologies to semiconductor vendors, system houses, and EDA companies.
No tuition fees for PhD studies.
Your application must include:
- A one-page cover letter describing the motivation for applying to the position
- Description of the research as envisioned by the candidate
(e.g. describe concrete and relevant problem, strategy to study/solve the problem, and a choice of your methods: analytical/experimental)(1 page)
- A Curriculum Vitae
(e.g. qualifications, skills, research and industrial experience, awards and fellowships, and any additional scientific achievements such as publications if any)
- An official transcript of the completed subjects and grades of the Master's degrees
How to apply?
Please send the required documents in a single pdf file with the subject “PhD-Jobs-DSP-RWTH-Name SURNAME” in the order 1) - 4) to jobs-dsp(at)ice.rwth-aachen.de.
An application not including documents 1) - 4) cannot be considered.
For questions: jobs-dsp(at)ice.rwth-aachen.de