Chair for Software for Systems on Silicon
HW Tracing and Measurement System for the Validation of ReRAM PIM Models:Supervisor:
You will need to have:
- Knowledge in analog/digital circuit design with integrated components such as: ADCs, MCUs and Muxes.
- Programming experience with C/C++/Python on MCU/Embedded platform e.g.: Raspberry Pi, Arduino.
- Interest in computer architectures and power-aware design.
- (Optional) Knowledge in measurement and test systems.
- Latest transcript of records.
- A brief description of your background and motivation.
A vast majority of modern computing systems enforce a strong separation between processing (CPUs, GPUs, DSP, DLAs) and memory (DRAM, Flash, etc) units. With the explosion of data-intense applications such as high fidelity real-time multimedia processing and machine learning the boundary between these two elements has become a performance bottleneck. Additionally, the energy cost of moving data back and forth often exceeds that of the computation alone. By implementing parts of the computation within the memory devices, Processing-In-Memory (PIM) architectures address these fundamental issues. Moreover, memristive devices and Resistive RAM (ReRAM) cross-bars constitute a promising alternative to implement both energy-efficient non-volatile storage media and PIM kernels.Description:
Here at the Chair for Software for Systems on Silicon (SSS), we are developing models and simulation tools to enable the architectural exploration of novel memristor-based PIM solutions. To validate and calibrate our models, a comparison against real HW prototypes is of utmost importance. The goal of this project is to create a custom measuring system for this purpose, consisting of current sensing devices, ADCs and an MCU.Tasks:
- Design of a trace and power measuring system for a variety of RRAM XBar prototypes.
- HW component selection: MCU + ADC + ICs and circuit design.
- Collaboration with an experienced PCB designer to construct a measuring board compatible with our existing prototypes.
- Develop a SW platform to record and store the measurements in a standard format.